Meeting the challenges and opportunities of climate change
Labour is fully committed to meeting the challenges of transforming Ireland into a green economy that protects our environment and raises living standards for working people at the same time.
Labour in Government passed Ireland’s first ever Climate Change law and have prioritised energy efficiency and home heating projects aimed and raising living standards and combatting fuel poverty.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Create a €1 billion Green Infrastructure Fund to invest in clean public transport and energy efficiency programmes
- Invest to attract major increases in investment for energy efficiency, renewables and network infrastructure
- Take steps to diversify our renewable energy portfolio
- Set a target of making our cities carbon neutral through an ambitious 20-year plan
- Put communities at the centre of decisions about energy infrastructure
- Support the Forestry Programme to oversee planting of 43,000 hectares of new forests and provide afforestation grants for new planting
- Establish a Green Bus Fund to support the replacement of the State bus fleet with cleaner, greener vehicles